Visa & Immigration
Nepal Visa Information
It is not difficult to get Nepalese visa upon arrival in entry place. Make the process easier by downloading and completing the application form, having the correct US$ cash and two passport sized photographs.
Nationals of SAARC countries and China do not need visa when visiting Nepal. As per this rule, Indian nationals do not require visa. However, effective from October 2000, Indians traveling to Nepal by air have to show upon arrival at entry point a valid photo identity like a passport, voter’s identity or an identify card issued by the Indian government. Temporary identity card with photographs issued by Nepal-based Indian diplomatic missions is considered in case of exception. Children under 10 years do not need to show any identification.
Other non-Nepali visitors do not need visa to be in Nepal for three days. Visa must be obtained for staying over the initial period of three days. Free visa is to be given to tourists for re-entry to Nepal provided they stay at least for 15 days in the country in that visa year.
A. Entry Points
Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Nepal Embassy/ Consulate or Mission offices abroad, or at the following immigration offices in Nepal:
Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
Kakarvitta, Jhapa [Eastern Nepal]
Birganj, Parsa [Central Nepal]
Kodari, Sindhupal Chowk [Northern Border]
Belhiya, Bhairahawa [Rupandehi, Western Nepal]
Jamuna, Nepalgunj [Banke, Mid Western Nepal]
Mohana, Dhangadhi [Kailali, Far Western Nepal]
Gaddachauki, Mahendranagar [Kanchanpur, Far Western Nepal]
B. PASSPORTS AND VISAS (NEPAL)
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
- 1st Step
- Fill in ‘ Arrival Card ‘
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form ( you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- 2nd Step
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
US Dollars 30 or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto for 15 days
US Dollars 50 or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto for 30 days
US Dollars 125 or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto for 90 days
If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask us or you can reference the official publication from the Nepal Visa Office.
C. Tourist Visa Extension
Visa extension fee for 15 days or less is US $ 45 or equivalent Nepalese currency and visa extension fee for more than 15 days is US$ 3 per day
Tourist visa can be extended for a maximum period of 150 days in a single visa year (January – December).
D. Free Visa Facility
Free visa for 30 days available only for tourists of SAARC countries.
Indian nationals do not require visa to enter into Nepal.
E. Transit Visa
Transit visa for one day can be obtained from Nepal’s immigration offices at the entry points upon the production of departure flight ticket via Tribhuvan International Airport in Nepal, by paying US $ 5 or equivalent nepali currency.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years except US citizens
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa ‘On Arrival’.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
For further information, please, contact Department of Immigration, Maitighar, Impact Building, Kathmandu.